During the past few decennaries, skyscrapers have gained considerable importance in most of the metropoliss around the universe. Rapid commercialization, increasing concern demands, scarceness of land and promotion in engineering are some of the factors that have forced us to look towards the sky and travel perpendicular. It is projected that by 2030, 5 billion people will populate in urban countries, which means that approximately 60 % of the universe population will populate in urban countries ( Ali & A ; Armstrong, 2008 ) . Sing the lifting demands originating out of increasing rural to urban migration and ensuing demand for enlargement within limited land country, the skyscraper is looked upon as a reinforced signifier that would be the lone option in meeting this crisis. However, with skyscrapers ruling the skyline of metropoliss, concerns about their impact on environment and vice-versa has been a popular country of survey since 1970s. Tall edifices are monolithic consumers of energy and a major liability on the urban substructure due to their graduated table and intent and should be the focal point of sustainable design ( Ali & A ; Armstrong, 2008 ) . The sustainability of tall edifices can be achieved through a multidisciplinary attack since it involves the integrating of assorted complex services and expertness like substructure, planning, construction, M & A ; E, lifts, economical and societal development. There are many facets related to tall edifice design that need to be given a idea from the energy efficiency point of position, to accomplish an environmentally sensitive design end product. The service nucleus, which is frequently regarded by designers as a proficient component to be tackled by structural, lift and HVAC applied scientists, is one of the major facets of tall edifices that could significantly lend in optimizing energy ingestion ( Trabucco, 2008 ) . It is of import for designers to understand service cores non merely as distinguishable block in the edifice but as an inseparable portion of it, that demands due consideration during the initial design stage and has a significant impact on the edifice ‘s both operational and corporal energy.
Powell & A ; Yeang ( 2007 ) province that, “ the tall edifice typology is the most ‘unecological ‘ built signifier. The tall edifice when compared to other reinforced typologies uses three times more energy and material resources to construct, to run and to pulverize. In world, the tall edifice can non be made wholly green and holding realised this, designers should seek to extenuate its negative impacts on the environment ” . Therefore, it could be said that every attempt should be made to look at the different constituents of such tall edifices and modify them so as to accomplish an environmentally sustainable edifice. The service nucleus is one such constituent of tall edifices.
2. AIMS AND AREA OF RESEARCH
The importance of service nucleus additions with the addition in tallness and it contributes significantly to the energy ingestion of edifices. There are three specific issues to be tackled in accomplishing energy efficiency for tall edifice through service nucleus design. First, optimizing the energy consumed by the service core itself. Second, following a suited design scheme for the service nucleus which helps in optimizing the operational energy of the full edifice. The 2nd instance gives rise to the 3rd issue related to incarnate energy ingestion. As for the first instance, there have been several surveies carried out to take down the energy demands of the single constituents of the service nucleus ( Trabucco, 2008 ) . The latter two issues of operational and corporal energy necessitate in-depth survey as to understand the importance of careful consideration of the service nucleus design while developing an architectural construct for environmentally sustainable tall edifices.
The research shall turn to the followers:
- Passive agencies of optimizing the energy ingestion of the service core itself.
- Optimizing running/operational energy ingestion of the edifice through assorted inactive design schemes for service nucleuss and turn to the impact of such design determinations on the corporal energy.
The above mentioned two points are related to each other. Certain design schemes which might be good for optimizing operational energy besides have a positive impact on the energy ingestion form of the service core itself. However, the same can non be said about the corporal energy which can non be optimised utilizing the same design rules.
Optimizing energy ingestion of the service nucleus itself could assist in optimizing the overall energy ingestion of the edifice. This would normally affect utilizing the most efficient and low energy systems for lifts, HVAC and other mechanical and electrical services which have been dealt with in the past by assorted surveies and research work. However, this research shall turn to some of the inactive design techniques such as natural lighting and airing for lift anterooms, lavatories, stairwaies which could significantly cut down the energy ingestion of service nucleuss and in bend cut down the energy ingestion of the edifice as a whole.
The research shall besides measure the impact of different design schemes for service nucleuss on the operational energy public presentation of the edifice and show the ideal service nucleus design version. This would affect look intoing certain design determinations refering to constructing orientation, arrangement of service nucleuss, floor home base constellation, appropriate structural system, material pick, frontage and ensuing issues such as range for natural lighting, airing, heat dissipation and fire safety. The research shall besides show how atriums and sky anterooms could be considered as an built-in portion of service nucleuss and influence energy efficient design. In add-on to this, certain psychological facets related to plan schemes of service nucleuss shall besides happen a brief reference in the research. In the concluding chapter, the research shall foreground some of these drawbacks every bit far as corporal energy ingestion is concerned ; originating out of such designs and suggest possible steps that could be considered to understate such negative impacts.
Mumbai, as the concern capital of India and a planetary fiscal hub, is quickly developing and is presently the most populated metropolis proper of the universe ( Wikipedia, 2004 ) . With immense foreign investing in concern and finance sectors and consuming land resource, Mumbai is now looking to suppress the sky. As the building for India ‘s tallest and greenest skyscraper, the 301 meter high India Tower by FXFOWLE Architects is underway, one can anticipate more of these mega constructions being built in the island metropolis ( Wikipedia, 2004 ) . Therefore, it would be necessary to hold a holistic and multidisciplinary attack towards this new enterprise for a new metropolis from the really get downing. This paper aims to do a low part to the bing cognition database on sustainable tall edifices but with a particular accent on service nucleuss and tropical climatic conditions.
Therefore, the primary research inquiries to be answered is ‘What are the appropriate inactive design considerations/guidelines for service nucleuss to optimize its ego and overall operational energy public presentation of tall office edifices in the context of Mumbai? ‘
The research shall reply the undermentioned bomber inquiries in order to carry through the primary purpose:
- What are the best suitable physical parametric quantities in tall edifice design related to built signifier orientation and location of service nucleuss?
- How does the suited reinforced signifier for tall edifices negatively affect the NRA/GFA ratio? What are the ways to extenuate such negative impacts?
- What is the scope of benefits derived from an unconventional attack to service nucleus design?
- How service nucleus designs can better fire safety and instil positive psychological impact along with energy efficiency benefits?
- What structural benefits does the ideal service nucleus option enjoy over conventional designs in footings of structural system of the entire edifice?
- What are the best stuff specifications coupled with mentioned structural system to optimize thermic public presentation of service nucleuss?
- What are the positive or negative impacts of each of the discussed advantages of a suited service nucleus design on the corporal energy ingestion of the edifice?
- How can such negative impacts be mitigated to deduce overall optimised energy public presentation?
The primary purpose of research is to invent a set of design guidelines for service nucleuss to accomplish low energy tall edifices tailored specifically for the tropical clime and besides show the issues of corporal energy in relation to service nucleus design and how it could hold an impact on the overall energy ingestion form of tall edifices and suggest subjects for farther research.
3. Need FOR RESEARCH
Tall edifices, over the past 120 old ages have undergone a series of passages in footings of planning, construction, stuffs, economic system and environmental impact. The really first tall edifice, The Home Insurance Building, Chicago, dating back to 1885, gave rise to an epoch of high rise building in North America, which shortly became a symbol of pride and economic prosperity ( Oldfield, et al. , 2008 ) . Ever since, the tall edifice has been a popular paradigm and grown in figure every bit good. The energy crises of 1970s forced the edifice industry professionals to rationalize their design schemes and come up with edifices that use less resources and make a pleasant indoor working environment. In the past decennary, some of the new coevals tall edifices such as the bioclimatic skyscrapers by Dr. Ken Yeang and Commerzbank Tower, Frankfurt by Sir Norman Foster, display advanced manner of well bettering energy public presentation ( Oldfield, et al. , 2008 ) . In an epoch where environmental sustainability is deriving greater importance, the issue of turn toing affairs of energy efficiency refering tall edifices is inevitable.
Service Cores history for approximately one tierce of the energy consumed by a tall edifice owing to the mechanical services housed in it. However, apart from their self operational energy ingestion, they can play a positive function in bettering the edifice ‘s overall energy public presentation through a careful design attack. A great trade of attempt is made in covering with natural airing, twenty-four hours lighting and fa & A ; ccedil ; ade design for tall edifices to optimize the energy ingestion. However, really small idea has been applied towards service nucleus design that could assist in optimizing the operational energy of tall edifices in add-on to natural airing, twenty-four hours lighting, glazing, construction, stuffs etc. The thought of doing an integrated, witting and holistic attack towards service core design to accomplish energy efficiency in tall edifices is comparatively recent. Some work has been done in the past related to single constituents such as lifts, HVAC and other M & A ; E services. This is apparent in Dr. Gina Barney ‘s and many others work covering entirely with energy efficient lift theoretical accounts and few documents on rating of appropriate HVAC systems for tall edifices. However, small work has been done in general to cut down the energy ingestion of the service core itself through inactive design characteristics by sing the benefits generated out of following a suited design.
There are limited resources such as Dr. Ken Yeang ‘s work that chiefly cover with the ideal location of the nucleus and how it assists in understating the energy ingestion of the edifice. However, it is necessary to hold an unconventional mentality towards service nucleuss than merely a block incorporating perpendicular service lines and carry out a elaborate survey of how a holistic attack towards its design could embrace countries such as atriums, sky anterooms and air current scoops as an built-in portion of it and hold positive impact on the operational energy of tall edifices. Therefore, the survey of designs of service nucleuss in optimizing the ego and operational energy of tall edifices is an country of research which is new, comparatively undiscovered to a great extent, has a possible to be viewed from a different position and needed to lend in developing a sustainable theoretical account for future tall edifices.
Due to the huge and undiscovered nature of the topic, it is hard to establish the research on a individual methodological analysis. The research shall utilize a combination of three distinguishable methods. A literature reappraisal will measure available information on the capable affair and set forward statements and findings. A few constructs on future service nucleuss shall be introduced as a personal reading and point of view on the topic. Such statements shall be demonstrated through a book instance survey of IBM Plaza Tower in Malaysia. The statements put frontward in the literature reappraisal and instance survey findings shall be justified by transporting out an energy simulation of a practical survey edifice and its design options.
4.1 Literature Review
There is really small information available on the topic which makes it hard to establish the research mostly on literature reappraisal. Information refering to advantages originating out of an unconventional design of service nucleuss in optimizing operational energy could be investigated from resources such as books and published diaries in related subjects, where we could happen reference about inactive characteristics in such designs and that they help in bettering the energy efficiency of the edifice. Advantages of appropriate structural systems and pick of stuffs for an unconventional service nucleus could be demonstrated through this method. The issue of negative impact on corporal energy of tall edifices originating out of design of service nucleus as justified being instrumental in optimizing operational energy public presentation shall be illustrated through literature reappraisal of the few research documents available in the capable country.
4.2 Case Study
A instance survey of the IBM Plaza edifice in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia shall be used for showing the advantages originating out of a bioclimatic attack towards service nucleus design in the context of tropical clime. This would be a book instance survey where relevant information will be collected and analysed from the research work of Puteri Shireen Jahnkassim who is besides the writer of ‘Linking bioclimatic theory and environmental public presentation in its climatic and cultural context – an analysis into the tropical high rises of Ken Yeang ‘ presented at the 23rd Conference on Passive and Low Energy Architecture, Geneva, Switzerland in 2006. The findings of the instance analyze shall back up the statements put forwards in literature reappraisal.
4.3 Energy Simulation Models
The findings of the literature reappraisal and instance survey will organize a base for constructing a conjectural practical theoretical account. This theoretical account along with two other design options shall be tested for thermic public presentation through Ecotect energy simulation plan in the climatic context of Mumbai. The simulation survey will analyze informations such as the heat from solar radiation and chilling burden for the different edifice paradigms. The simulation plan will merely change the edifice constellation for the assorted paradigms maintaining the location, orientation, climatic conditions, stuffs and other physical parametric quantities constant.
5. THE SERVICE CORE
The service nucleus is built up of a figure of single constituents, each holding a different map to execute and extremely proficient in nature. It is of import to understand each of these different parts and their mutuality so as to accomplish a low energy design option ( Trabucco, 2008 ) . There are several words that could be used to depict this portion of the edifice which houses all the major constituents of services, perpendicular transit and public-service corporations functioning as the line of life of the edifice. In some instances it besides serves as the spinal column of the edifice playing as a primary support or member of the support system in add-on to carry throughing the antecedently mentioned maps. The most appropriate word for this portion of the edifice is possibly mentioned by Ken Yeang in the rubric of his book ‘Service Cores ‘ , 2000 ( Trabucco, 2008 ) .
The service nucleus could be merely described as that portion of the edifice that consists the lift shafts with lift autos and back uping mechanism, lift anterooms, stairwaies, perpendicular M & A ; E riser canals lavatories and air managing units in some instances ( Yeang, 2000 ) . Due to ease of care, handiness and economic factors these elements are about ever placed together organizing a perpendicular nucleus like construction ideally linking the floors vertically. In some instances, the construction of the service nucleus can besides lend in the structural framing and stableness of the edifice.
The service nucleus typically consists of the followers:
- Vertical transit – This would typically include the lift shafts with lift autos and related mechanism and the stairwaies. There could be a chief stairway and a separate fire flight stairway. However, in tall edifices all stairwaies might be designed to function during exigencies ( depending on local pass Torahs ) .
- Mechanical & A ; Electrical Services – These would include the electrical overseas telegrams and telephone, cyberspace overseas telegrams placed in separate riser canals. Water pipes, A.H.U. canals, wet/dry riser canals which are of import for proper operation of the useable countries are included in this class. They normally take up less country and are arranged after puting the major public-service corporations.
- Toilet countries, janitor ‘s shop, fire emersion anterooms, lift anterooms and larder in some instances ( particularly individual tenement edifices ) .
Depending on the arrangement of service nucleuss, there are three types of constellations ( Yeang, 1996 ) .
- Internal/Central Service Core
- External/Peripheral Service Core
- Single Core at the margin – Single Sided Core
- Double Cores at opposite terminals – Double Cores
5.2. Impact of NRA/GFA Ratio on Energy Performance
The architectural design determination sing the service nucleus mostly affects the success of a tall office edifice as a commercial venture. It is of import to understand the relation between the service nucleus placement and its consequence on the floor home base efficiency frequently referred to as the net-to-gross country ratio. The elements of the service nucleus when combined, occupy an country which is excluded from the gross floor country ( GFA ) which gives the net rentable country ( NRA ) available on each floor. As the edifice tallness additions, the sum of services like figure of lifts, back uping machinery besides addition. This consequence in an addition in the country occupied by the service nucleus and therefore negatively affects the NRA/GFA ratio. Surveies indicate that shorter edifices of about 15-20 floors have a higher NRA/GFA ratio of 0.85 – 0.9 as compared to 50 floor edifices that have ratios of about 0.8 and 0.75 for the tallest edifice boulder clay day of the month ( Trabucco, 2008 ) .
The NRA/GFA ratio besides depends on the arrangement of the service nucleus, that is, the sort of service nucleus constellation selected for the edifice. As mentioned earlier there are chiefly two types of constellations – internal/ cardinal service nucleus and external/ peripheral service nucleus arrangement. Buildings holding peripheral service nucleus arrangement have less floor home base efficiency as compared to their conventional cardinal nucleus place opposite numbers. This means that more reinforced country will be required to accomplish a floor home base efficiency of an tantamount cardinal service nucleus location edifice. This finally means that the extra built country would necessitate energy to illume, ventilate which straight affects the operational energy and stuffs for building which affects the corporal energy of the edifice. Therefore, it is of import to understand that the subject of NRA/GFA ratio non merely has an impact on the economic system of the tall edifice paradigm but besides on its energy ingestion form.
5.3. Building Orientation and Service Core Placement
As per the climatic conditions of a peculiar zone and the sun-path chart, tall edifices could be oriented along the best possible central axis to understate solar heat addition and maximize energy efficiency and better the indoor environment. This is the first and most simple measure towards a bioclimatic attack to tall edifice design. Once the orientation of the edifice is decided, the location of the service nucleus could be fixed to accomplish best possible optimization in footings of barricading solar additions in hot climes. The location of the service nucleus affects a broad scope of architectural design standards such as floor home base efficiency, range for natural airing, twenty-four hours light, indoor environment and structural determinations such as type of structural system, stuffs, sum of glazing and any demand of cross brace. Surveies indicate that a peripheral service nucleus location has more advantages than a conventional cardinal nucleus typology in footings of the followers:
- Locating the service nucleus on the hotter side of the edifice ( as would be desirable in hot climes ) would significantly cut down the sum of heat gained by the edifice as the service nucleus would move as a solar buffer. In instance of cold clime, the nucleus could move as an effectual air current buffer to protect from cold air currents ( Yeang 1996 ) .
- The service nucleus could be of course ventilated and natural visible radiation could be incorporated to illume the lift anterooms, stairwaies and lavatories. This would understate ( if non extinguish ) the demand for unreal lighting and mechanical airing in these countries.
- Natural airing to service nucleus countries can extinguish the demand of pressurisation shafts for stairwaies, lift anterooms and fire combat pressurisation canals. This helps in cut downing the initial cost and subsequent operational costs ( Yeang, 1996 ) .
- In add-on to moving as solar buffer, external service nucleuss besides have a shading consequence on the remainder of the edifice which helps in optimizing the chilling burden ( Trabucco, 2008 ) .
- Heat generated by lifts and illuming in the service nucleuss could be easy dissipated to the exterior ( Trabucco, 2008 ) .
- A of course ventilated and illuminated service nucleus is besides friendly and safe in the event of an exigency like fire or power failure ( Ali, 2003 ) . It can hold a great positive impact on the psychological science of the people who might be seeking to get away utilizing the fire flight paths during such exigencies.
- Tall edifices holding an external service nucleus location have an exterior structural system which is more efficient than interior structural systems used in edifices holding a cardinal service nucleus ( Trabucco, 2008 ) .
Majority of the tall edifices have a cardinal service nucleus constellation and this could be perchance explained as the advantage derived from the cardinal solid nucleus playing as a strong structural support. Therefore the service nucleus in these instances serves a double intent of supplying perpendicular connexions and besides structural stableness. However, from the environmental sustainability point of position, the peripheral service nucleus would hit better than the conventional cardinal nucleus typology ( Jahnkassim and Ip, 2006 ) .
6. DATA COLLECTION AND ANALYSIS
Information required for literature reappraisal shall be collected and assessed from beginnings such as books, particularly those on bioclimatic skyscrapers by Dr. Ken Yeang. There are legion documents on high rise edifices, most of them presented at seminars and conferences like CTBUH ( Centre for Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat ) . These documents discuss subjects runing from overall position of sustainability issues in tall edifices, instance survey studies on few edifices by Dr. Ken Yeang to incorporate design of safe skyscrapers extensively covering with accent on function of service nucleus design and arrangement for fire safety grounds. A paper by Puteri Shireen Jahnkassim and Kenneth Ip compares three edifices in footings of their bioclimatic public presentation and overall energy usage. One of the edifices is the IBM Plaza Tower and the survey demonstrates the impact of alternate nucleus designs on the energy ingestion. There is an unpublished PhD thesis by the same writer and it has a station tenancy survey of the above mentioned edifice to formalize the findings. Information from this beginning shall be investigated and used to formalize the findings of literature reappraisal. The energy simulation mold will necessitate geographic and climatic informations for the chosen site, i.e. Mumbai, such as latitude, average maximal temperature for the hottest twenty-four hours in summer ( which will be used for simulation survey ) , humidness etc. Physical parametric quantities such as stuff specification shall be researched through measuring information on renewable and local stuffs ( wherever possible ) maintaining the factor of corporal energy in head. The decisions from literature reappraisal shall inform the design of a conjectural edifice theoretical account complete with the coveted elements and location of the service nucleus. Two other dummy options shall be designed for comparing the simulation consequences and pulling decisions. The informations such as the heat from solar radiation and chilling burden for the different edifice paradigms shall be analysed and compared. The last stage of the research covering with underscoring the issue of corporal energy related to antecedently demonstrated service nucleus design shall be analysed through information collected from Dario Trabucco ‘s research which, at present, is the lone extended work done in this field. The recommendations as to understate the negative effects generated out of such designs in context of Mumbai shall be a personal reading based on the above analysis.
7. Work PROGRAMME
8. Result OF RESEARCH
The result of the research shall be recommendations in the signifier of an extended design guideline for service nucleuss that could optimize the ego and operational energy of tall edifices. The undermentioned wide issues shall be addressed:
- Guidelines for the physical parametric quantities for tall edifice design in relation to service cores..
- Contradictions of NRA/GFA ratio and ways to optimize the same.
- Benefits originating out of an unconventional design.
- Design for fire safety and positive psychological impact.
- Structural advantages and material specification to optimize thermic public presentation of service nucleuss.
- Wayss to extenuate negative impact on corporal energy ingestion.
The research shall non merely develop ideal guidelines as mentioned above but besides demonstrate the impacts of service nucleus design determinations on the corporal energy forms of tall edifices and possible steps that could be devised to equilibrate both the operational and corporal energy usage. Therefore, this research could be a stepping rock for farther survey in the broad and undiscovered field of corporal energy usage related to service nucleuss in tall edifices within the tropical clime context.
- Ali, M. M. , 2003. Integrated design of safe skyscrapers: Problems, Challenges and Prospects. In: Proceedings of the CTBUH ( Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat ) Conference on Tall Buildings, Malaysia, 20-23 October 2003, CIB Publication no: 290.
- Ali, M. M. , Armstrong, P. J. , 2008. Overview of sustainable design factors in high-rise edifices. In: Proceedings of the CTBUH ( Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat ) 8th World Congress, Dubai, 2008.
- Jahnkassim, P. S. , Ip, K. , 2006, Associating bioclimatic theory and environmental public presentation in its climatic and cultural context – an analysis into the tropical high rises of Ken Yeang. In: Supplication ( Passive and Low Energy Architecture ) The 23rd Conference on Passive and Low Energy Architecture, Geneva, Switzerland, 6-8 September 2006.
- Oldfield, P. , Trabucco, D. , Wood, A. , 2008. Five Energy Coevalss of Tall Buildings: A Historical Analysis of Energy Consumption in High Rise Buildings. In: Proceedings of the CTBUH ( Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat ) 8th World Congress, Dubai, 2008.
- Powell, R. , Yeang, K. , 2007. Planing the eco-skyscraper: premises for tall Building design, [ Online ] . 16 ( 411-427 ) , Available at: Wiley Interscience hypertext transfer protocol: //www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/fulltext/116845000/PDFSTART [ Accessed 14 November 2009 ] .
- Trabucco, D. , 2008. An analysis of the relationship between service Cores and the embodied/running energy of Tall edifices, [ Online ] . 17 ( 941-952 ) , Available at: Wiley Interscience hypertext transfer protocol: //www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/fulltext/121478663/PDFSTART [ Accessed 28 October 2009 ] .
- Wikipedia, 2004. List of metropoliss proper by population. [ Online ] ( Updated 7 December 2009 ) Available at: hypertext transfer protocol: //en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_proper_by_population [ Accessed 10 December 2009 ] .
- Wkipedia, 2004. List of tallest edifices in India. [ Online ] ( Updated 5 December 2009 ) Available at: hypertext transfer protocol: //en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_India [ Accessed 12 December 2009 ]
- Yeang, K. , 2000. Service Cores. 1st edition. Chichester, UK: Wiley Academy.
- Yeang, K. , 1996. The skyscraper bioclimatically considered: a design primer. London: Academy Editions.
- Allford, S. , Monaghan, P. , 2008. The Tall Building, Reconsidered. In: Proceedings of the CTBUH ( Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat ) 8th World Congress, Dubai, 2008.
- Ang, G. , Prins, M. , 2003. Schemes for Tall Buildings in the Netherlands. In: Proceedings of the CTBUH ( Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat ) Conference on Tall Buildings, Malaysia, 20-23 October 2003, CIB Publication no: 290.
- Cox, G. , Girardet, H. , Pank, W. , 2002. Tall Buildings and Sustainability. [ pdf ] London: Corporation of London. Available at: hypertext transfer protocol: //www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/nr/rdonlyres/08a4077b-3199-442e-b4d1-e7f9f2c68e15/0/sus_tallbuildings.pdf
- Hakala, H. , Siikonen, M. L. , Tyni, T. , Ylinen, J. , 2001. Energy Efficient Elevators for Tall Buildings. [ on-line ] Kone Group Plc. Available at: hypertext transfer protocol: //www.kone.com/countries/SiteCollectionDocuments/MP/2001_energy_efficient_elevators_tall.pdf [ Accessed 21 December 2009 ] .
- Leung, L. , Weismantle, P. , 2008. Sky-Sourced Sustainability – How Super Tall Buildings Can Benefit From Height. In: Proceedings of the CTBUH ( Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat ) 8th World Congress, Dubai, 2008.
- Sachs, H. M. , 2005. Opportunities for Elevator Energy Efficiency Improvements. [ pdf ] Washington D. C. : American Council for an Energy Efficient Economy. Available at: hypertext transfer protocol: //www.aceee.org/buildings/coml_equp/elevators.pdf